Explore the archaeology, history, art, and hieroglyphs surrounding the famous Egyptian Pyramids of Giza. Learn about Old Kingdom pharaohs and elites, tombs, temples, the Sphinx, and how new technology is unlocking their secrets.
About this course
Where is Giza? How were the Pyramids built? How did the cemeteries and hundreds of decorated tombs around them develop? What was Giza’s contribution to this first great age of ancient Egyptian civilization, the Old Kingdom?
The Giza Plateau and its cemeteries including the majestic Pyramids and the Great Sphinx are stirring examples of ancient Egyptian architecture and culture. They provide windows into ancient Egyptian society, but also contain mysteries waiting to be solved. The Egyptian Pyramids at Giza provide an opportunity to explore the history of archaeology and to learn about some of the modern methods shaping the discipline today.
This introductory course will explore the art, archaeology, and history surrounding the Giza Pyramids. You will learn about Egyptian pharaohs and high officials of the Pyramid Age, follow in the footsteps of the great 20th-century expeditions, and discover how cutting-edge digital tools like 3D-modeling are reshaping the discipline of Egyptology.
Join this on online journey to ancient Egypt’s most famous archaeological site as we uncover the history and significance of Giza, and use new digital techniques to unravel the mysteries of its ancient tombs and temples.
What you will learn from the Study on the Pyramids of Giza?
- The history and significance of the Giza Pyramids and surrounding cemeteries.
- Who explored the Pyramids and how they documented their discoveries.
- The cultural and religious significance of the Giza Pyramids, tombs, and temples.
- The role of hieroglyphic inscriptions in the tombs at Giza.
- An appreciation for Egyptian art of the Old Kingdom, or Pyramid Age.
- How digital technologies allow us to visualize ancient monuments in new ways.
- What the future holds for our understanding and experience of Giza.
1. Course Description
2. Module 1: Introduction to Giza— Its History and Significance
3. Module 2: The Age of Great Expeditions
4. Module 3: Digital Giza
5. Module 4: Pyramids— What are they and why were they built?
6. Module 5: Dating and the History of the Giza Site
7. Module 6: “The Walls Speak”— Ancient Egyptian Scripts
8. Module 7: Case Studies on Egyptian Art on the Giza Plateau
9. Giza Roundtable Discussion
10. Course Summary and Conclusion
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 1-3 Months
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- Culture Egyptian history History