Learn about the Quran, the central sacred text from the Islam Scriptures, through an exploration of the rich diversity of roles and interpretations in Muslim societies.
About this course
How can you improve your understanding of Islam and its most important holy text, the Quran? How can you make sense of a tradition and a text that has been interpreted in different ways across vast geographical spaces for nearly a millennium and a half?
Using multimedia and a student-centered approach, this religion course provides tools and perspectives for understanding the role of the Quran in the Islamic tradition. Learners will develop the skills and context to read the text themselves, while also being introduced to some of the issues classical and contemporary interpreters have addressed. This approach enables learners to explore the influence of the Quran on diverse Muslim understandings of Islam.
What you will learn from the Islam Scriptures?
- An introduction to the place of the Quran in Muslim cultures
- Major themes of the Quran
- The historical and cultural contexts of the Quran
- Interpretive skills that enable a more nuanced reading of the Quran
- Diverse approaches Muslims have adopted to engaging with Quranic texts, including issues in a contemporary interpretation
Day 1. Islam Scriptures: Introduction
- Introduction to Islam Through Its Scriptures
- Going Further
- Pre Course Survey
Day 2. Islam Scriptures: Revelation
- Revelation and the Aural/Oral Quran
Day 3. Approaching the Quran
- Approaching the Quran as Text
Day 4. The Prophet and the Quran
Day 5. Quranic Interpretation (tafsīr) and Theology
Day 6. The Quran and Law
Day 7. Spiritual Interpretation and Aesthetics
Day 8. Islam Scriptures: The Quran and Contemporary Issues I
Day 9. Islam Scriptures: The Quran and Contemporary Issues II
Day 10. The Quran in Daily Life
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 1-4 Weeks
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- History Philosophy Religion