Fall of Imperial China: An overview of modern Chinese history, including the fall of the Qing and the end of imperial China.
About this course
In the 18th century, the Qing Dynasty is at its height; it is the wealthiest, most powerful, most civilized state on earth. And yet the 19th century brought enormous challenges for the Qing and for the place we call China. By the 20th century, a 2,000-year imperial tradition is gone. What happened?
In this overview of modern Chinese history, you’ll learn about the Qing was forced to engage with the West, the impact of imperialism and dynastic decline, and, ultimately, the causes of the Qing dynasty’s fall. This course will cover the effects of opium, how the Qing responded to that epidemic, and how the opium war brought fundamental changes to the country. You’ll also learn about the introduction of Christianity in this period, and about the ideology of Chinese salvation.
This is a time when intellectuals were wrestling with new western ideas and new western technologies. This course will help you to understand how China engaged with the West, and how this confrontation still resonates today.
What you will learn from this course on the Fall of Imperial China?
- An overview of modern Chinese history.
- About the Qing’s forced re-encounter and engagement with the West.
- The impact of imperialism and dynastic decline.
- What ultimately caused the fall of the Qing dynasty.
- How intellectuals wrestled with the confrontation of western ideas and technology.
- The historiography of periodization and how one can define the modern period.
1. Welcome to ChinaX (Part 7)
2. Meet ChinaX
3. Part 7: Introduction
4. Section 30: Myths and Lessons of Modern Chinese History
5. Section 31: Achievement and Limits of Manchu Rule
6. Section 31: Digest
7. Section 32: Opium and the Opium War
8. Section 32: Digest
9. Section 33: Christianity and Chinese Salvation
10 Section 33: Digest
11. Section 34: Fall of Imperial China
12. Section 34: Digest
13. Course Notes
14. Final Assessments
15. Part 7: Conclusion
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- 3+ Months
- Online Course
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- Chinese history Culture History
- Harvard University