Learn to deliver high-quality primary health care at scale through national community health worker programs.
About this course
Despite medical and technological advances, half of the world’s population lacks access to essential health services, and over 8.9 million preventable deaths occur every year. There is an acute global shortage of health workers, a gap that will grow to 18 million by 2030. Studies show that training high-performing community health workers can help close these gaps and save more than 3 million lives annually.
In the past few decades, many community health worker programs across the world have demonstrated their ability to save lives including in the hardest-to-reach areas. Yet despite this progress, lessons on how to successfully scale these programs as part of national primary health systems are not widely shared.
The curriculum of this course
This course, developed in collaboration with the Community Health Academy at Last Mile Health, introduces learners to the core concepts of community health worker programs and explores what is needed to build and strengthen large-scale programs to improve access to high-quality health services. The curriculum highlights the key components of designing community health systems, addresses common management challenges, and showcases lessons learned from a range of contributors from community-level practitioners to government leaders and other global health experts. Through case studies of exemplar countries (including Ethiopia, Bangladesh, and Liberia), participants will learn from leaders across the globe how to advocate for, build, and optimize community health worker programs.
This course was created by health systems leaders for health systems leaders. Whether you work in a Ministry of Health, lead or support a community health worker program, mobilize resources and advocate for increased investment in community health, or you are simply interested in knowing what it takes to deliver quality care through community health worker programs, learners will have the opportunity to advance their knowledge and skills to implement critical change. This course can be taken individually, but learners are also encouraged to convene their colleagues from within or across organizations to share insights and further enhance the learning experience.
About the Community Health Academy.
Last Mile Health launched the Community Health Academy in 2017 to revolutionize training for community health workers and health systems leaders. The Academy is equipping current and next-generation health systems leaders to build strong community health systems through university-quality courses that are delivered virtually and in-person through coaching, mentorship, and group discussion. The Academy is also supporting Ministries of Health to enhance the effectiveness of their health worker training by deploying mobile phones equipped with high-quality digital content to frontline and community health workers.
What you will learn from Health Worker Programs?
- Core concepts in community health as part of primary health systems.
- Key components in the design and optimization of community health worker programs as exemplified through country case studies.
- How to advocate for community health worker programs with key stakeholders.
- The evidence demonstrating the impact and returns of community health workers.
- How to build coalitions to support government-led programs.
- How to break down silos and reduce duplicative efforts in the wider community health ecosystem.
- The common issues that arise in implementing community health worker programs at scale.
1. Health Worker Programs: Course Introduction
2. Section 1: Community Health Workers as Part of Primary Health Care Teams
3. Section 2: Making the Case
4. Section 3: Building Coalitions (Part 1 – Challenges)
5. Section 4: Building Coalitions (Part 2 – Solutions)
6. Section 5: A Systems Approach to Problem-Solving (Part 1)
7. Section 6: A Systems Approach to Problem-Solving (Part 2)
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 1-3 Months
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- Global health Health and Society Healthcare