This module, the third installment of the multi-part Poetry in America series, focuses on Walt Whitman Poems America, a quintessentially American writer whose work continues to bear heavily upon the American poetic tradition.
About this course on Walt Whitman Poems America
This module, the third installment of the multi-part _Poetry in America _series, focuses on the poetry of Walt Whitman, a quintessentially American writer whose work continues to bear heavily upon the American poetic tradition. We will explore Whitman’s relationship to the City, the Self, and the Body through his life and poetry. Distinguished guests in this module include Tour de France champion Greg LeMond, Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan, and Whitman scholar Karen Karbiener.
Led by Harvard Professor Elisa New, Poetry in America surveys nearly 400 years of American poetry. Through video lectures, archival images and texts, expeditions to historic sites, interpretive seminars with large and small groups, interviews with poets and scholars, and conversations about poems with distinguished Americans, Poetry in America embark on a journey through the literature of a nation.
Distinguished guests, including President Bill Clinton, Elena Kagan, Henry Louis Gates, Eve Ensler, John McCain, Andrea Mitchell, Michael Pollan, Drew Faust, Tony Kushner, and Nas, among others, bring fresh perspectives to the study of American Poetry.
What you will learn from Walt Whitman Poems from America?
- Whitman’s formal and thematic innovation and its place within the American poetic tradition.
- How to identify poetic devices.
- Develop strategies for approaching a poem.
- How to make observations, understand the structure, situate a text in history, and learn to enjoy language.
1. Poetry in America Programs
2. Week 0: Introduction: Walt Whitman Poems America
3. Week 1: Whitman and the City
4. Week 2: Whitman and the Self
5. Week 3: Whitman and the Body
6. Survey: Walt Whitman Poems America
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 1-4 Weeks
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- American History Culture History Poetry