Why should we care about Confucius? Explore ancient Chinese philosophy, ethics, and political theory to challenge your assumptions of what it means to be happy, gain a path to happiness, live a meaningful life, and change the world.
About this course
Today, finding a path to happiness is about mindfulness and discovering your true self. You may have heard that happiness is found by looking within. Ancient Chinese philosophy challenges all of these modern assumptions. From Confucianism to Daoism, the philosophies developed over two thousand years ago are among the most powerful in human history.
This course brings voices from the past into modern contexts to explore the path to a good life today. The philosophical concepts discussed provide tools to change your life and increase personal happiness by focusing on your actions, the power of ritual, and the importance of sensing the world around you.
Through a series of lectures, animations, discussions, and reflection diaries, this course focuses on close readings from prominent Chinese philosophers. The course requires no prior knowledge of Chinese philosophy or history and all texts are in translation.
Adapted from one of the most popular classes at Harvard, this course is now available online for the first time. Learn from award-winning professor Michael Puett and start on your path towards happiness.
What you will learn?
- Understanding ancient Chinese philosophy to live a better life
- Tools for self-awareness, the power of ritual, and sensing the world around you
- How personal actions and counteractions change the world
- The philosophical theories of Confucius, Mozi, Mencius, Laozi, Zhuangzi, Xunzi, and Han Feizi
1. Who am I, and how should I act in the world?
2. How does the world change the way I should act?
3. Action and Counteraction – How do my actions change the world I live in?
4. Path to Happiness: How do I live a joyful life?
5. Path to Happiness: How do I improve myself?
6. Path to Happiness: How do I improve the world?
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 3+ Months
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- Chinese history History Philosophy