Modern China Foundations: Learn how the Manchus conquered the Qing and established the last of the imperial dynasties.
About this course
This course, part of a comprehensive series on China, looks at the Qing state in the early 1600s and the challenges that the Manchus faced as minority rulers. While living in Chinese cities and surrounded by Chinese culture a culture that was far more sophisticated than their own the Manchus struggled to hold onto their identity as a conquesting people.
You will look at the last period of ascendancy for China before the modern era. We’ll cover China in the 18th century, under the Kangxi, Yongzheng, and Qianlong emperors a period in which the size of the empire nearly doubles.
The Qing was the last dynasty before the foundation of the modern republics and sets the stage for everything that will come after. Join us to learn about this critical era in Chinese history, an era that sets the stage for a truly modern China.
What you will learn from the Modern China Foundations?
- How the Manchus conquered Ming China.
- How the last of the imperial dynasties were established.
- Learn how the Qing dynasty became the foundation on which modern China was built.
- To evaluate the imposition of foreign rule.
- Develop your own approaches to history and gain a critical appreciation of China’s literary, philosophical, political, and cultural resources.
- To express ideas more clearly and confidently.
1. Welcome to ChinaX (Part 6)!
2. Meet ChinaX
3. Part 6: Introduction
4. Section 26: The Qing Vision of Empire
5. Section 26: Digest
6. Section 27: Hearts and Minds
7. Section 27: Digest
8. Section 28: Manchu Identity and the Meanings of Minority Rule
9. Section 28: Digest
10. Section 29: High Qing
11. Section 29: Digest
12. Course Notes
13. Final Assessments
14. Part 6: Conclusion
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 3+ Months
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- Chinese history Culture History