In Literati China, we’ll explore the China’s imperial period, with a focus on the Song dynasty and the role of the exam system in government.
About this course
Fundamental changes in government, the economy, and broader society took place between the 8th and 11th centuries in China. The state aristocracy gave way to new literati elite: educated men who sought to enter government through competitive examinations. A new kind of Confucianism also took shape, which prized the moral autonomy of individuals. With this, the later imperial period of China’s history begins.
From this series on Chinese history and culture, this course focuses on the changes brought by the Tang-Song transition, including the reconfiguration of power, urbanization, Neo-Confucianism, and the shared values as expressed in the state examination system.
Join us to learn how a shifting social and political elite ultimately brings unity to China, ushering in an age of global empire.
What you will learn from the course on ‘Literati China’?
- How to break history into periods based on social, political, economic, intellectual, and cultural changes.
- To develop your own unique approach to history.
- How to gain a critical appreciation of China’s literary, philosophical, political, and cultural resources.
- To express ideas more clearly and confidently.
- Think critically through the study of primary and secondary sources.
1. Welcome to ChinaX (Part 4)!
2. Meet ChinaX
3. Part 4: Introduction
4. Section 16: From Early to Later Imperial China
5. Section 16: Digest
6. Section 17: Transforming Society Through Government
7. Section 17: Digest
8. Section 18: The Neo-Confucianism Movement
9. Section 18: Digest
10. Section 19: Exams and Elites
11. Section 19: Digest
12. Course Notes
13. Final Assessment
14. Part 4: Conclusion
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 3+ Months
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- Chinese history Culture History