Learn the principles guiding humanitarian response to modern emergencies that is the response to conflict and disaster, and the challenges faced in the field today.
About this course
From the Syrian refugee crisis to the West Africa Ebola outbreak, humanitarian emergencies have reached unprecedented dimensions and proportions. As the need for humanitarian aid grows, how can efforts to alleviate human suffering evolve with it?
This course from the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative and HarvardX seek to prepare learners to recognize and analyze emerging challenges in the humanitarian field. The course explores the ethical and professional principles that guide humanitarian response to conflict and disaster.
Participants will learn the legal and historical frameworks that shaped these principles, test their applicability to the challenges faced by humanitarian actors today.
Through four case studies covering the responses to crises in Goma (Zaire), Somalia, the Balkans, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, participants will engage with Harvard faculty, current practitioners, and one another. Do these cases introduce major trends affecting the current landscape of humanitarian response? including rapid population displacement, violence against aid workers, and civil-military engagement. Thoughtfully engaging with this course will prepare participants to be informed and aware of humanitarian practitioners, scholars, policy-makers, and global citizens.
What you will learn?
- Legal and historical frameworks shaping the professionalization of the humanitarian field.
- An applied understanding of the principles guiding humanitarian response and the tensions that arise when operationalizing these principles in modern crises.
- How to recognize and adapt to major trends affecting the scope and implementation of humanitarian work.
Syllabus on Humanitarian Response to Conflict and Disaster
2. From Course Teaching Assistant: Discussion Highlights From Each Week
3. The Humanitarian Principles & International Humanitarian Law
4. Case 1: Goma
5. Case 2: Somalia
6. Case 3: The Balkans
7. Case 4: Afghanistan/Pakistan
8. Concluding Materials
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 1-3 Months
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- Disaster management Healthcare