Data Science: Probability — Learn probability theory essential for a data scientist, using a case study on the financial crisis of 2007-2008.
About this course on Data Science: Probability
In this course, part of our Professional Certificate Program in Data Science, you will learn valuable concepts in probability theory. The motivation for this course is the circumstances surrounding the financial crisis of 2007-2008. Part of what caused this financial crisis was that the risk of some securities sold by financial institutions was underestimated. To begin to understand this very complicated event, we need to understand the basics of probability.
Course introduces you important concepts such as random variables, independence, Monte Carlo simulations, expected values, standard errors, and the Central Limit Theorem. These statistical concepts are fundamental to conducting statistical tests on data and understanding whether the data you are analyzing is likely occurring due to an experimental method or to chance.
Probability theory is the mathematical foundation of statistical inference which is indispensable for analyzing data affected by chance, and thus essential for data scientists.
What you will learn from this Course on Data Science: Probability?
- Important concepts in probability theory including random variables and independence.
- How to perform a Monte Carlo simulation.
- The meaning of expected values and standard errors and how to compute them in R.
- The importance of the Central Limit Theorem.
Syllabus on Data Science: Probability
1. Introduction and Welcome
2. Section 1. Discrete Probability
3. Section 2: Continuous Probability
4. Section 3: Random Variables, Sampling Models, and the Central Limit Theorem
5. Section 4: The Big Short
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 1-3 Months
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- None Pre-requisite
- Data Analysis Data Science Data Science with 'R' Practical Statistics Probability