Learn about Christianity through a study of sacred Christianity Scriptures. We will explore how diverse Christians have interpreted these writings and practiced their teachings over a 2000 year, global history.
About this course
Christianity is a global religion. From modest beginnings 2,000 years ago, it has grown to encompass nearly a third of the human population.
Diverse in languages, cultures, histories, and creeds, Christians nonetheless share a common collection of the sacred scripture called the Bible.
This religion course introduces you to the Bible and its scripture and asks the questions:
- What are the contents, languages, and forms of Bibles in various times and places?
- How have Christians lived out their stories and teachings?
- How does Christian history reflect the contested and varied uses of scripture in the ancient Roman world where Christianity began, in its
- spread through European and American colonialism, in the diverse forms it takes in varied locations around the globe?
- You will begin to explore these questions and others while learning about the content and interpretations of these sacred texts.
What you will learn through Christianity Scriptures?
- What’s in the Bible, the book containing the sacred scriptures of Christians.
- An overview of contents with a focus on diverse interpretations of well-known passages.
- Exploration of select themes, such as how Christians approach diversity, attitudes toward non-Christian traditions, existential questions of suffering and violence, the encounter with modern science, the roles of women, liturgical time and pilgrimage.
1. Day 1: Christianity: An Initial Overview
2. Day 2: Bibles Galore!
3. Day 3: Christianity Scriptures: Early Christian Practices
4. Day 4: Christianity Scriptures: Modern Practices, Time, Place
6. Day 5: Grouping Together; Marriage and Sexuality; Women’s Roles
7. Day 6: Christianity Scriptures: The Invention of Religious Others
8. Day 7: Death and Resurrection; Violence, Suffering, Justice
9. Day 8: Slavery; The Future of Christianity
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 1-4 Weeks
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- History Philosophy Religion