A human-centered approach to the fundamentals of cell biology in the Cell Biology course online with a focus on the power plants of the cell – mitochondria.
About the Cell Biology Course Online
The cell is a powerful case study to help you and explore the functional logic of living systems. All organisms, from single-celled algae to complex multicellular organisms like us, are made up of cells. In this course, you will learn the how and why of biology by exploring the function of the molecular components of cells, and how these cellular components are organized in a complex hierarchy.
This course is designed to explore the fundamentals of cell biology. The overarching goal is for learners to understand, from a human-centered perspective, that cells are evolving ensembles of macromolecules that in turn form complex communities in tissues, organs, and multicellular organisms.
You will focus particularly on the mitochondrion, the organelle that powers the cell. In this context, you will be able to look at the processes of cell metabolism. Finally, you will examine the F1F0 ATP synthase, the molecular machine that is responsible for the synthesis of most of the ATP that your cells require to do work. To underscore the importance of cell biology to our lives, you will address questions of development and disease and implications of science in society.
By the end of four weeks, Edx hope learners will have a deep intuition for the functional logic of a cell. Together you will ask how do things work within a cell, why do they work the way they do, and how are we impacted?
Join Edx to explore the extraordinary and wonderfully dynamic world of the cell.
What you will learn from this Cell Biology Course Online?
- How the internal structure and organization of a cell provides an understanding of how and why a cell works.
- The role mitochondria play in the cell and why it is important for a cell to make ATP.
- How cells metabolize food to provide the molecules necessary for mitochondrial function.
- How the structure of the F1F0 ATP synthase leads to the production of ATP.
- What experimental techniques are used to investigate mitochondrial structure and function in the laboratory.
Cell Biology Course Online: Welcome and Introduction
- Welcome to Cell Biology: Mitochondria
- Meet the Cell Biology Course Team
- Important Pre-Course Survey
Lesson 1: Cell Biology Course Online: Introduction to the Cell
- The Inner Life of the Cell
- Plasma Membranes and Membrane Proteins (concept check)
- Deep Dive: Phospholipids and FRAP (concept check)
- Prokaryotes and Eukaryotes (concept check)
- Parts of the Cell (concept check)
Lesson 2: Cell Biology Course Online: The Mitochondrion
- Powering the Cell: Mitochondria
- What is the Mitochondrion? (concept check)
- A Closer Look at the Mitochondrion (concept check)
- Deep Dive: Endosymbiosis (concept check)
- Human Disease Narrative: Amy’s Story Part 1 (human disease decision)
- Mitochondrial Disease (concept check)
- Human Disease Narrative: Amy’s Story Part 2 (human disease decision)
ICE 1: Lessons 1 and 2
This Integrative Content Evaluation is a comprehensive assessment of material from Lessons 1 and 2.
Lesson 3: Cellular Metabolism
- Electron Transport Chain
- Overview of Metabolism and Photosynthesis (concept check)
- Introduction to Metabolism (concept check)
- Cellular Metabolism (concept check)
- Membrane Transport Proteins (concept check)
- Electron Flow and Proton Gradient (concept check)
- Background: Molecular Structure
Lesson 4: The F0F1 ATP Synthase
- Lesson 4 Overview
- ATP Synthase Structure (concept check)
- ATP Synthase Mechanism (concept check)
- ATP Synthase in Action (concept check)
ICE 2: Lessons 3 and 4
This Integrative Content Evaluation is a comprehensive assessment of material from Lessons 3 and 4.
Advanced: Mitochondrial Research Techniques
These assessments will help you understand how mitochondrial research is conducted.
- Part 1: Mitochondrial Membrane Potential
- Part 2: Mitochondrial Respirometry
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 1-4 Weeks
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- Cell Biology Experimental techniques