Ancient Masterpieces of World Literature: Examine how cultures of the ancient world defined themselves through literature and how their vision of literature contributes to our understanding of civilization, culture, and literature today.
About this course on Ancient Masterpieces of World Literature
This short literature course, based on the first half of the Masterpieces of World Literature edX MOOC, examines how civilizations and cultures of the ancient world defined themselves through literature and how that literature has continued to contribute to our understanding of those civilizations and cultures today.
Cities, nations, and empires from antiquity through the middle ages drew on foundational histories and myths for their identities, relating these narratives through generations by means of oral-storytelling and new writing technologies. These epics, story collections, and novels, which take a keen interest in heroic travelers, would eventually travel themselves, finding new global audiences as the first works of world literature.
Tracing developments in language, writing, and literary genre, this course also travels in time, from legendary accounts of ancient kings to histories of medieval courts and early-modern exploration. We will stop to consider how all of these texts affected the history of their own eras, but also how they have continued to find new prominence and significance in ours.
What you will learn from Ancient Masterpieces of World Literature?
- The early history of World Literature
- How literary works are transformed by cultural transmission and modern recovery
- How to critically analyze literary works
- The significance of major technological advances in writing
- Introduction: What is World Literature? (Goethe)
- The Birth of Literature ( The Epic of Gilgamesh )
- Homer and the Archeology of the Classical Past ( The Odyssey )
- West-Eastern Conversations ( The1001 Nights )
- The Floating World ( The Tale of Genji )
- The First National Epic ( The Lusíads )
Note: Your review matters
If you have already done this course, kindly drop your review in our reviews section. It would help others to get useful information and better insight into the course offered.
- Harvard University
- Online Course
- 1-3 Months
- Free Course (Affordable Certificate)
- Books and Manuscripts Culture History